Question 1 of 6
Answer the phone correctly in a work environment
Question 2 of 6
Which are the correct answers if somebody to ask to speak to you on the phone. You are answering the phone. (two options)
Question 3 of 6
Which is the correct expression for connecting somebody?
Question 4 of 6
What do you say if you want somebody to hold the line?
Nützliches Vokabular um jemanden aufzufordern in der Leitung zu bleiben:
Just a seccond. I will get her.
Hang on a sec.
Please hold and I will put you through Mr. Smith.
Just a moment, please.
All of our lines are busy presently. Please hang on for the next available representative.
Question 5 of 6
Macht the elements to form meaningful sentences:
- Hold on a sec. I will get him.
- Sure it's 1301526. Extension 12.
- Mr. Smith is usually in at 1:00 pm.
- Yes, please. Tell him that Mr. Jones from finance called.
- Ok. Thanks for calling.
- Sure. It's J-A-C-K-S-O-N.
Can I speak to Mr. Smith, please.
Can you leave your phone number?
When is the best time to call back?
Would you care to leave a message.
Well. I have to run.
Can you spell that for me, please?
Question 6 of 6
Fill into the blanks and complete the sentences to a meaningful dialog.
- Hi. (This) is Sandra from accounting. Can I (speak) to Jackson, please?
- Oh, hi Sandra. I (am) sorry. He is (not) at his desk at the moment.
- When will he be (back) ?
- The best (time) to call back is probably at 2:00pm. Would you care to leave a (message).
- No, (thank) you. It is not so urgent. I will (call) again later. Bye.
- Bye, (bye).
- - Hi. (This) is Sandra from accounting. Can I (speak) to Jackson, please?
English on the phone.
To speak English on the phone for ESL learners is a challenge all on its own.
If you speak English on the phone, you will have to focus many things which in normal conversation don't play an important role.
You cannot interpret your dialog partner's body language. Nor can you read their lips.
Interferences and bad connections add insult to injury.
If you have to think about the right vocabulary in such a stressful situation your telco is doomed to fail.
Therefore, it makes sense to come prepared.
It is paramount to learn all relevant vocabulary regarding its idiomatic usage in phone conversations.
You will find all relevant expressions and words on this page, packed into exercises, in order to support you in learning correct telephone English.